Saturday, May 29, 2010

FIRST LOOK! Isha Sesay looks as good as gold; ''really, really thrilled'' to host the CNN MultiChoice African Journalist Awards again.


You're reading it here first.

KAMPALA, UGANDA. - I spotted the beautiful Isha Sesay, the host of the weekly magazine show Inside Africa on CNN International (DStv 401) last night at a VIP dinner held for attendees of this evening's CNN MultiChoice African Journalist Awards 2010Isha Sesay completely rocked in a purple dress with some chandelier ear rings and she chose gold as the colour for her accessories.

I asked Isha Sesay how she's feeling about hosting the CNN MultiChoice African Journalist Awards for a second time. ''I feel really, really thrilled and honoured to be asked a second time,'' Isha Sesay told me. ''The first time you do it you can't enjoy it. You just can't. You're learning the ropes, you're getting to know the team. The second time around, I'm loving working with the team. I really want to give a shout out to the team that pulls together this event. The CNN team coming from London and the MultiChoice team from South Africa – they're incredible. Really some of the best in the business that I've worked with.''

I wanted to know how she feels about Uganda. ''I've mainly been in the hotel since I got here,'' Isha Sesay told me. ''All I've had the chance to engage with Uganda people so far has really just been in the hotel, but they have for their part been so welcoming and have just embraced hosting the CNN MultiChoice African Journalist Awards this year. Its such a mammoth event that you just can't pull it off without everyone pulling together. Staff at places can get very fed up, very quickly with this huge roadshow that suddenly pulls in, but they have been wonderful and they have been very, very welcoming. I have to come back to Uganda!''

Isha Sesay also had a near miss car accident on her way to Uganda. ''We left from Nairobi, Kenia to come here to Uganda which in itself was eventful,'' she laughs. ''In Nairobi their traffic seems to compete with Ugandan traffic - a lot of traffic and a lot of logistical issues. We were coming from Kenia to get here. We were on the roads and we had a near miss because everyone's driving as if they've got somewhere more important to get to that what you do. Generally speaking we haven't had any major dramas. We've done okay,'' she laughs.